- This event has passed.
FWC Coyote Safety Tips
March 4 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
According to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC), coyotes are found throughout Florida and are now considered to be a naturalized species in all 67 Florida counties. Be aware that coyotes have been sighted in MetroWest, so please take appropriate steps to keep your pets safe with these FWC tips:
* Do not allow them to roam freely; keep cats indoors. Free-roaming cats are a high risk of being preyed upon by coyotes and other animals.
* Walk small dogs on a short leash that is less than six feet long, especially at night, dusk or dawn.
* Be extra careful if you are going to walk your pet in a wooded area that has heavy foliage, where coyotes may rest.
* If pets are kept in a fenced yard, be sure the fence is at least 6 feet high to deter coyotes from jumping over it. Check the bottom of the fence regularly to ensure there are no holes where coyotes can get underneath.
* Remove attractants from around your home, including pet food and unsecured garbage left outside. Problems with coyotes can be significantly reduced if residents remove attractants and secure trash.
- March 4
8:00 am - 5:00 pm